It’s the day after Halloween and all the candy is going on sale and I can’t help but miss some of my pregan (pre-vegan) favs. I remember doing the trick-or-treating thing with my friends and we’d take all of our candy and dump it out on the floor and start bartering. I was always after those Reese’s peanut butter cups. I was even willing to give up some banana flavored laffy taffy for those things! That’s true dedication. Chocolate and peanut butter are like a match made in heaven and I’m currently limited to: Justin’s dark peanut butter cups, or dipping chocolate into my peanut butter jar (and that’s just not something I can do in front of other people). Justin’s are great, but I have yet to find them at any other store than the select few Starbuck’s and they only come in twos. I think buying the entire stash while getting my morning coffee is just too embarrassing so I went ahead and made my own.
These are super easy. There’s no cooking involved! And there’s only 5 ingredients needed and you probably have them all on hand already! They didn’t come out looking picture perfect, but they definitely look and feel homemade. Rustic Reese’s I guess?
I don’t have candy molds so I just used my handy IKEA silicon ice cube tray (I have the heart tray and making heart-shaped goodies with it always makes me smile). They’re only like, a dollar, but, if you’re like me, you’ll go to IKEA and wind up buying a lot of things that you don’t need. So maybe these should be advertised as like $100 ice cube trays with a complimentary living room makeover.
But yes, these are super easy to make, they’re kid friendly, and if you have peanut allergies then feel free to use any other nut butter (sun butter and wow butter are great!). I only made enough for 12 little bites (one tray’s worth) because I’m trying not to over-indulge lately and I’m really motivated on looking and feeling healthier! I think this will be reflected in my future recipes (probably not this one) but treats like this are ok in moderation!
Fudgy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites
Ready in 45 minutes. Active time: 5 minutes.
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (I used virgin unrefined, but if you don’t want a subtle coconut taste then use refined coconut oil)
- 2-3 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup (adjust to taste preferences)
- about 6 tbsp peanut butter (I like Adam’s natural crunchy!)
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil, either on the stove or use the defrost setting on your microwave. Mix it with your cocoa powder, agave nectar, and almond milk.
- Put half of the mixture in the bottoms of the molds, about 1 tsp in each.
- Let the bottom halves set in the fridge or freezer, about 15 minutes.
- Layer peanut butter and remaining chocolate mixture into the molds (about 1-1/2 tsp each).
- Let set in the fridge or freezer again, about 15 minutes.
- Pop them out and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
What are your favorite Halloween treats?! I am thinking of trying a vegan Snickers recipe I saw floating around on Facebook, yum!
Happy Fall! And it’s World Vegan Day!